Si Woo Kim wins 2017 Players Championship
Ponte Vedra, Florida – 21 year old South Korean Si Woo Kim came of age on Sunday, surviving the newly renovated Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass, and outlasting the best field in professional golf to become the youngest winner in the 44 year history of The PLAYERS.
While many of the games’ best struggled on Sunday, Kim played steady and efficiently to eliminate any of the usual late final round drama that the PLAYERS is known for. Kim’s flawless bogey free 69 in the final round was the only of its kind (and the first at the PLAYERS since Tim Clark pulled it off in 2010), and resulted in a 10 under par total score and 3 stroke victory over Ian Poulter (71) and Louie Oosthuizen (73).
Si Woo Kim with the victory takes away a whole lot more than just the $1.89 million first place winnings, perhaps even more valuable is the long list of exemptions and invitations:
– 5 year PGA TOUR exemption
– 5 year exemption into the PLAYERS
– 2017 to 2019 U.S Open exemption
– 2017 to 2019 Open Championship exemption
– 2018 to 2020 Masters exemption
– 2018 Tournament of Champions
– 600 Fedex Cup points
“I am the youngest champion for this championship and I’m very honored to be the champion for this amazing major event,” Kim said. “Usually I’m very nervous but last year I won, and with the 2 year (tour) exemption – because of that, it allowed me to play aggressively and I wasn’t that nervous.”
There were many highlights throughout the week, with the Spaniards leading the way. On Thursday, Masters Champion Sergio Garcia aced the famous par 3 seventeenth and on Sunday Rafael Cabrera Bello made an albatross on the par 5 sixteenth.
Si Woo Kim’s winning bag at THE PLAYERS
– ’17 M1 460 Driver / 8.5* / MCA Tensei Blue TX
– ’17 M1 Fairway / 15* / MCA Kuro Kage Dual TiNi 80TX
– ’17 M1 Fairway / 19* /Matrix Speed Rulz 80C TX
– P750 Tour Proto Irons / 5-9 / KBS Tour-V 125
– P770 Irons / 3-4 / KBS Tour-V 125